As cosmetic practitioners we have a duty of care to our clients to provide a service which adheres to health and safety laws and guidelines and is a service that the client has been fully informed of and is therefore in a position to give informed consent.
There are several reasons why a client consultation should always be provided before the procedure is carried out:
- To assess the emotional state of the client, are they able to give informed consent?
- To understand the client’s motivations, requirements and expectations
- To enable the technician to understand any worries or anxieties that the client may have
- To allow the technician to talk through the different stages of the procedure and what the client may expect
- To inform the client of the risks, side effects and post procedure care
- To inform the client of any pre procedure preparations that will be required
- To assess the clients medical history to see if there are any possible contraindications